Friday, November 30, 2012

Lounges: Lufthansa Senator Lounge in Frankfurt T1

Logo in front of the lounge
Ok so it been about 1.5 years since it was launched.  And I have been inside a few times.  Each time, I learned something new about what it offered.  Especially when you have a 5 hour layover in Frankfurt.  Not enough time to go into the city, too much time in an airport.  So, it's a lucky thing if you can get access.

The redesigned lounge is 1800 sqm, located in the non-Schenzen side.  It is supposed to be the benchmark for future lounge refurbs.

What it offers, from 5am to 10pm:
  • Restrooms
  • Showers
  • Slumber Room
  • Office Support
  • Free local calls
  • Wifi
  • TV
  • Buffet counter
  • Periodicals
Ok time for impressions.

It's a flight up the stairs.  Or a very slow elevator.  You choose.

Entrance:
Entrance to LH Senator Lounge

  • You get greeted by polite (but quite cold) lounge dragons.  
  • They don't recognize your status and / or ticket.  I learned this when I went in with my LH card on a Y ticket, my LH card AND a J ticket, my LH card AND an F ticket.
  • Star Alliance First Class passengers get the honor of being in the Senator lounge.  Not much exclusivity.  And no, don't even try to ask for access to their F terminal.
On the left:
  • Lockers for your luggage 
  • The toilets
  • The showers / spa.  Yes spa.  But anyone used to Bangkok will find Euro Spas a little underwhelming and overpriced.  
Ahead of you:
Lounge as seen from opposite side
  • Bar / lounge area with the now iconic City Lights design element.  If you are in the lounge during the day, you would see a kind of an air well with some plants.  They pull the blinds on this at night.

On the right:
Sitting / Dining Area
  • Seating / dining area as well as the buffet counter.  
  • food sucks. However the last time I was there they had a German food fair, and had seasonal cuisine (read: appetizer portions), and that was interesting but still mediocre.
  • Note:  They have cup noodles, but this needs to be ordered.  When LH say order, it means find a (hopefully friendly) attendant, and ask for it.  Then you wait. And wait.  And wait...at the counter while someone from the kitchen pours water into the cup noodle and gives it to you.   
Inside:
Sitting Area overlooking tarmac
  • Lounge chairs that give you a vantage view of the tarmac for plane spotting.  Useless at night, not good for resting.  
  • Slumber rooms are nice and dark.  BUT the beds are like concrete. They do give you a nice LH branded blanket.  Which could be a nifty souvenir but you didn't hear this from me!
  • Shower rooms are retty basic, quite large with the standard change area.  Toiletries are stored in pump stations.  You need to get an attendant to give you access.  The lady that took care of me was not German but it was fun trying to charade out what we were trying to say to each other.
    Standard shower rooms
  • The toilets are interesting.  They gave out Nivea face moisturizers for free.  These were kept in a bowl.  Needless to say within 30 minutes, they were gone.  Most into my carry on bwahahaha! I joke.  Wonder what they give out in the ladies toilets?
The Bar / Lounge:

Lounge area
Snacks and cup noodles
They have a series of snacks laid on in a zen like tray that you can take to your table.
  • They also have a cocktail and mocktail menu and it was quite extensive.  The bartender comes from everywhere.  On my last visit, the guy was Thai.
I had a good time talking to him seeing I was on the way back to Bangkok.  When he learned that, he asked to be put into my luggage.  I asked him if working in Frankfurt was ok.  His face gave the answer.  I had heard it is tough for Asians in Germany.  A long time ago, someone told me that if I was to be living in Germany and seen with a local, others would assume I was a chef or waiter in a Chinese restaurant.  Really?  Even in Germany???

Anyway, there are no boarding announcements.  You have to be vigilant about your flight.  The free wifi is useful to keep tabs on this.

Frankfurt isn't a nice airport even though it is an European hub.  And sometimes crazy things happen there.  Like the strange protests against the airport's contribution to pollution on my last trip.  Hm.   The lounge is a welcome escape from the rest of the hoolahala that happens there.




No comments: